AFTER more than 20 years at the top of the national photography industry, Wattie Cheung has the scars - and the awards - to show for it.
A child of the 1967 summer of love, his vibrant passion oozes from a rich portfolio of work that embraces a wide variety of genres including the arts, major world news events, sport and corporate work.
His pin-sharp lens has captured a who's who (and even a Doctor Who) of prominent public figures with much of his work commissioned by respected clients such as The Daily Mail , The Sunday Times , The Scotsman, Independent on Sunday Review, BAFTA , Nordoff Robbins, Airtricity, The Times , The Sun , The Daily Express , The Sunday Express , The Herald , The Sun , The Daily Telegraph , The Independent , Shell , SERCO , NHS Scotland , Scotland on Sunday , Getty Images , Associated Press and The Mail on Sunday.
His archive is held by the highly regarded Camera Press photo agency.
A prestigious roll call of awards began in humble fashion when he won the 1985 Oban High School Cup for Photography, albeit as the only entrant! However, the honours that followed since graduating from Glasgow College of Building and Printing in 1988 make for far more impressive reading...
* Winner of the Getty Images/UK Picture Editors Awards Regional photographer of the year 2004.
* UK Picture Editors Awards Black and White Picture of the year shortlist 2002
* UK Press Photographer of the Year Awards shortlist 2006 , 2007 and 2011
* Scottish Press Photographers Awards Photographer of the Year shortlist 2006
* Scottish Press Photographers Awards Sports Picture of the Year shortlist 1998 and 2009.
* Scottish Press Photographers Awards News Picture of the Year shortlist 2009
* Winner of Scottish Press Awards News Photographer of the Year 2012
* UK Picture Editors Awards Celebrity/Entertainment Photographer of the Year Finalist 2013
Yet awards don't tell the whole story of a body of work that truly speaks for itself.
If every picture speaks 1000 words then the portfolio above represents a grand opus of modern life and culture, captured in joyful technicolour or the stark honesty of brooding black and white focus.
Wattie is a Scottish freelance photographer based in Glasgow . Available for assignments here or abroad.
For print sales http://wattiecheung.photoshelter.com